[Fast Battle Report] Chris (Salamanders) vs Lars (Goblins)

Maling, battlereports og selvpromotering

Moderator:Frederique

NotoriousGorilla
Stannis Brocker
[Fast Battle Report] Chris (Salamanders) vs Lars (Goblins)

Post by NotoriousGorilla » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 pm

Chris and Lars play fast games - really fast!

Salamanders vs Goblins

With a supertight schedule the chess clock was set to 40 min each as Chris and I prepared our armies for battle. With 21 goblin drops and 14 Salamander drops we were a bit concerned that 40 min could be too little time, but no time to worry too much, because the clock was already ticking as we entered deployment.

Chris deployed his army just the way you are supposed to in Dominate: close to the dominate circle. I on the other hand spread my forces out like a scrub and as I placed the last couple of units I was worried that the Lizards would simply peel away my flanks with a few units and win the center fast and hard! I was relieved that the Salamanders didn’t put more units to face my right flank and I was hoping I could break through there somehow. My left flank was fast, but could easily be bogged down by a couple of lizard units.

Turn 1

Both armies advance. Salamanders got the first turn and closed in fast on the goblin’s left flank. Really limiting the movement choices for the goblins on that flank. Meanwhile on the other flank the lizards held back using an impassible as a flank guard. The Salamander center advanced into difficult terrain awaiting the goblin advance.

Goblin turn one saw a reluctant advance without much to report. The goblin shooting wavered a troop of Ghekkotah, but other than that it did exactly as expected; nothing.

Turn 2

Salamanders:
As I had completely messed up my deployment on the left flank the Salamanders could happily charge into my first wave with a Clan Lord and a regiment of Ghekkotah locking my flank in place. I probably should have advanced more aggressively turn 1. At this point I was expecting to be bogged down for a few turns and I was especially nervous about that Clan Lord that charged a regiment of fleabags; negating the thunderous charge. On the other flank the Salamanders held back still.

Shooting saw my legion taking 10 wounds from a double bad breath from the Fire Drakes in the center. Ouch! But the legion held (possibly because they were flanked by a horde of trolls on each side).

In the combat phase the Clan Lord failed to make a lasting impression on the fleabag regiment. But with Me3 and Vicious I was prepared to take a few wounds every turn and as long as the Clan Lord was alive I decided I had to get rid of everything else on this flank as soon as possible so that I could help my center where the actual dominate circle was.

Goblins:
The goblins started this turn by failing a yellow-bellied roll. Where? On the left flank of course. A regiment of fleabags made an excellent impression of statues and refused to move. Good job, guys! Luckily a mincer managed somehow to get a flank charge into the same Ghekkotahs that the fleabags had refused to charge.

On the other flank the goblins moved ever forward in an effort to lure the Salamanders into combat.
In the center one of the regiments of Mawbeasts charged the regiment of Salamanders in the central wood.

By some goblin trickery the fleabags that was bogged down by the Clan Lord on the far left managed to put enough damage on the lizard to waver him! That grind suddenly looked a little less of an up-hill-struggle! The Mincer lived up to its name and made minced meat out of the Ghekkotas! Go goblins!

Turn 3

Salamanders:
This is not going so bad for the goblins! The Clan Lord was wavered and could not strike back this turn, the Mincer obliterated a regiment in one turn and at this point I a hope that I could roll up this flank fairly quickly! The rest of my battleline was more or less intact and I did not have enough cause for panic just yet.

The charges from the salamanders saw the legion taking a double charge from Tyrants and a regiment of Ghekkotah. The Tyrants were hindered so I had high hope for the legion to stay put, but even if they didn’t, my trolls were ready to charge through the scattered legion if need be. To the shock of the goblins a Salamander hero suddenly revealed a set of wings on his back and flew between the mawbeast on the right flank and the flank of the Tyrants...spoil sport!

The two Fire Drakes under the command of the second Clan Lord on raptor charged into a regiment of Mawbeasts and the other into the horde of trolls. A regiment of big salamanders counter charged the regiment of Mawbeast in the forest.
In the combat phase the Legion was wavered, which wasn’t so bad until I noticed that I was running out of time (why did I think 40 min was a good idea?). It would probably have been better if they were routed than wavered. That way I could have charged the very eager Trolls in. Further down the line the Trolls accepted a few wounds from a Fire Drake and both the Mawbeast regiment was routed. Yelp!

Goblins:
Let’s rock! The mission for this turn: kill the few units on the left flank and pivot towards the center. With the Clan Lord wavered on 6 wounds I was confident that the fleabags could kill him considering they would finally get their TC and luckily they didn’t fail their Yellow-Bellied.

Unfortunately the second fleabags failed their Yellow-Bellied test and was not able to aid the regiment of Rabble as they charged a troop of Ghekkotahs. This was a disaster as I really needed to kill that troop if I wanted to save my center from complete collapse. I think it’s safe to say right now that th regiment of Rabble completely failed to rout the Ghekkotahs. To make things worse the Clan Lord was still alive at the end of turn 3 (albeit wavered again).

Turn 4

Salamanders:
It became very clear at the beginning of turn four that we would both run out of time this turn. From the Salamander’s side it was all about trying to clear the dominate circle of goblins which they managed to do as the goblin legion finally routed the field running between the legs of the Trolls.

Goblins:
With no more pesky goblins standing in their way both Troll hordes could finally get into the fight! On the left flank the goblins tried desperately to scramble for the dominate circle, but the Salamanders was still in the way so none of the units could quite make it.

It was all down to the Trolls to kill everything in the circle in only a few seconds. Dice were rolled and as the dust settled...the Salamanders were still pretty much intact…

End of turn 4

Summary:
Victory to the Salamanders!
A fun game where we were trying to play on 40 min each. We only made it to the Salamanders turn 5 (with only a few seconds to spare) but I believe that with a bit of practice and less mocking about like little schoolgirls Chris and I will manage better in the future.

The game didn’t go my way and of course I will blame a few unfortunate yellow-bellied rolls. But the real problem was that I deployed all wrong. I should have used my two Mawbeast regiments much more aggressively and closed the gap earlier. It would also have been nice if I had something, anything really, behind the Mawbeasts to follow up their attack. Instead I had everything on the far left flank being held down by a Clan Lord and a few Ghekkotah chaff units.

Oh well, next time, Chris!
Fokk me, I´m a Dwarf!!

Kings of War

"epicdwarf's map pack randomizer" (beta): www.epicdwarf.com!

Mine KoW-turneringer 2017:
Spring of War 4.Mars
Fall of Kings Oktober 2017
Twitter: @mangapolis
My comic at www.mangapolis.com

Return to “Blogger”