Olannon bygger CD - en hel hær fra scratch!

Tips og råd rundt maling og konvertering

Moderators: unseenlurker, Stinky-skink, The Avenger

Olannon
Haley

Olannon bygger CD - en hel hær fra scratch!

Post by Olannon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Tenkte å detaljere min bygging av en CD-hær, ettersom jeg allerede skriver på chaos-dwarfs.com er det lite jobb å koke pasta hit også.

Så langt har jeg konvertert en Hellcannon (nærmer seg ferdig), Deathshrieker (så godt som ferdig) og 2x magikere + BSB:

After I showed these pictures to some friends they adviced me to "chaosify" the crewman:

I wanted the Deathshrieker to not look like I simply put an Empire Rocket Battery on a Chaos Chariot. I feel that I accomplished this, but of course given the nature of these unique units one can easily see where the main parts are coming from. The platform behind the gun is the Ogre chariot, with the closed side being barrels from the Hellblaster. Bits have been added from the CSM Rhino sprue here and there to "spike it up" (also notice the chains with skulls on the front of the Deathshrieker) and the crewman was a mix of Dwarf sprues (same as the characters).

---

This afternoon I`ve been busy converting up the characters - my first look at the Dwarf kits. I have used a number of bits from both the Longbeards/Hammerers kit, Ironbreakers/Irondrakes kit, Ogre Ironblaster, Chaos Chariot and Chaos Space Marines Rhino :) I`m quite happy with how they turned out and think that the paint job will really bring out the look and feel I`m going for with this army. For the rank and file infantry I intend to use Dark Elf Executioner heads. I think they`ll look awesome on the Dwarf bodies to represent CD and their relatively faceless expression will make these characters stand out so much more.

Ok, so before the pictures - some explanations: The guy on the left is the Daemonsmith. I gave him a dynamic stance and a rather unique weapon to act as his Ensorcelled Weapon. The guy on the middle is the Sorcerer Prophet. I originally experimented with a Chaos Warrior head, but it`s simply too big for the rest of the model. I modelled fire on both of his arms as I see fitting for such a Lord of Hashut. Lastly, the BSB on the right is fairly plain: most of his bits are from the Dwarf sprues with the exception of the banner and the spike on his neck.

Hellcannon in the background for scale purposes

---

Here are some pictures of the Hellcannon. I don`t think I`ll be adding much more, just some liquid GS here and there to smooth things out. I feel that adding more spikes/details will do more harm than good:

The conversion above features parts from the Ogre Ironblaster, Chaos Chariot and Chaos Space Marines Rhino
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Geir V
Juggernaut

Post by Geir V » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Gleder meg til å se det med farge på. Du skaper skikkelig stemning med å bygge dem sånn! Blir dritbra!

Erling
Battle Boar

Post by Erling » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Dæven dette var kult å se, du har virkelig bra fantasi som du klarer å formidle gjennom stemningsfulle konverteringer! Gleder meg til å se det ferdigmalt;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erlingtrustad/

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:53 am

Takk takk gutta :) Gleder meg til å begynne med malingen selv også. Er mest glad i konvertering hva hobbydelen av Warhammer angår (les: ikke spilling) og med denne hæren har man plenty muligheter. Har bestilt Hellcannon og Forgefiend nå, gleder meg til å begynne på Iron Daemon. Her er mer kokt pasta fra CD-forumet med mine tanker rundt dette:

Back to the modelling side of things, I`ve decided to try and build the Iron Daemon on my own. The ForgeWorld model looks very nice, but I love converting and I think I found a pretty cool concept. Basically I want to keep the same feel as the FW model: open platform at the back and big wheels in front. I`ve decided to base the conversion on a mix of the Hellcannon and the CSM Forgefiend. Below are some pictures to explain my train of thought:

The Hellcannon will supply the main body for the Iron Daemon. I am not familiar with the kit but probably will be in short time. Explanation:

1. The barrel needs to get lowered so it`s flat, relative to the ground.
2. I need another set of the big wheels to go in front of the model.
3. The daemonic mouth around the barrel needs to disappear (for those of you who know the kit: are these glued on or part of the barrel?).
4. The skeletons etc at the back have to be removed to make way for the engine, which brings us to the next picture:

1. The main body of the Forgefiend will do nicely as the engine, I think.
2. Exhaust ports look very cool and will fit straight in with my concept.
3. I guess these are meant to be at the front of the gatling guns and I intend to use them as such as well.

1. Main guns, mounted on either side of the barrel/boiler, same as the FW ones.
2. Can possibly be used with the engine and/or to cover poorly converted gaps. The chaos star is really cool.
3. Possibly something I can use to further enhance the mechanic feel of the thing.

The CSM Rhino kit has a couple of daemonic faces, such as the one I used in my Hellcannon conversion. Sealing the barrel shut to better look like a boiler, I believe this on the front of the Iron Daemon will be the icing on the cake.

Of course there`s a lot left, like platform, crew, spikes etc, but I`m having quite a few bits now so I think that will be fine ;)

Lastly, this idea was something I was pondering yesterday, and ultimately Bloodbeard`s reference to this thread by Nicodemus ensured me that this can be done: Awesome Iron Daemon Conversion
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Toms
Electromancer

Post by Toms » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 am

fy flate detta var kule saker. Hvis jeg skal komme med noe kontruktiv kritikk så er det greenstuff arbeidet, det ser litt slurvete ut.

Anbefaler at du kjøper deg et sett med clay shapers fra ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-5-Flexib ... 1c3dfabd3f
Jeg handla et sett med size 0 i både hvit,grå og svart. Fargen tilsier hvor myke de er og hvor hvit er mykest.
fant fort ut at til vårt arbeid så er de hvite og grå alt for myke, men de svarte er knall bra. Size 0 var litt i minste laget så skal handle et sett til med svarte size 1 og 2

fortsett å legge ut bilder her for detta var kult :lol:

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:02 pm

GS er min store svakhet hva konvertering angår. Har pusset en del på det siden disse bildene ble lagt ut og det har blitt en god del bedre (i hovedsak benyttet meg av liquid greenstuff, en dremmel multi og sandpapir). Tenker å legge ut nye bilder med fokus på problemområder når modellene er undercoated. Flere bilder vil komme :) Avventer baser fra MAS og noen DE-hoder så skal jeg ta fatt på mer infanteri også ;)
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Oppdatering:

Some modelling updates: First let`s take a look at my first 3 IG. For comparison purposes these shots were taken next to the previously converted characters. My apologies for the poor quality but I couldn`t do better with my phone and zero sunlight.

I`ve also expanded the Hellcannon quite a bit, adding a slave pit with 1 dead guy and a terrified guy, as well as adding a CD crew member. Pictures will come when model`s been undercoated (hopefully within the week - still some work to do on the greenstuff but it`s getting there!).

PS! Tenker å kjøpe et sett clay shapers slik Toms anbefalte også ;)
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:04 am

Some more WiP shots of the Hellcannon:

I added a CD handler whos whip is scaring the goblin at corner of the Hellcannon. The Slave pit was made from CSM Rhino parts while the dead guy and the terrified guy are from the Empire Helblaster kit. I think the base is full now, putting in more stuff will probably make it feel crowded.
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Tunfisk
Ghetorix

Post by Tunfisk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:24 am

Dette begynner å se veldig tøft ut Jarle. Gleder meg til å se øitt farge på dem.
Erik Svendsen

Hawkoon
Electromancer

Post by Hawkoon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:07 pm

Det der blei jo knall! Godt å se min "donasjon" gir resultater. De hodene passer veldig bra og gir CD det ondskapsfulle uttrykket de fortjener.

Burde de kanskje fått skjegg som stikker ut under maska?

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:51 pm

Takk Erik! Gleder meg til å begynne å male også!

Synes også hodene passer veldig godt Håkon. Er litt på gjerdet ang. skjegg enda, lener mot nei. Kanskje jeg får prøve en dud og se om det blir bra.

Mer kokt pasta:

Started working on the Fireglaives, 3 done. Also got a couple of better pictures of the "old" Infernal Guard. Check it out:

I also finished up some touches on the Hellcannon and Deathshrieker. They are now ready for priming which I`ll do today and hopefully start painting real soon!
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Har påbegynt maling på HC:

Bases from Micro Art Studios have arrived, I will go pick them up tomorrow.

I`m hoping for a CD game this week, but I`m not sure if I can make or when that would be. We`ll see :) In the meantime, check these out:

Basically I`m going for largely the same feel I`m having for my HE army. I think the colours fit really well for CD. What I want to do differently is to have black as a more dominant colour and use a lot darker metals, which I think is fitting. I believe that the centerpieces such as the Iron Daemon and the Hellcannon can really bring out the feel of the army as well as allowing me to throw in some other stuff, for example you can see the flesh that`s attached to the horns on this thing. The end of the barrel here is pretty much done, I just need to highlight the black a bit but as I want it to feel black, this will be very hard to actually see (or even present with my phone`s camera). The rest I haven`t quite figured out how I want to do just yet. I know that I want to keep it largely black, so we`ll just see. I also believe the horns will light the model up quite a bit once they`re highlighted up to Bleached Bone. Oh and lastly you can see how I fixed the empty-space-on-the-right problem ;)
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:57 pm

I was hoping I could get a game going today but my friend had to cancel due to illness. Instead, I got to spend the evening building the Iron Daemon :) This is a project I've been looking forward to for a while. These are still very early shots, you can clearly see the main thing but lots of stuff remains. Anyways, have a look:

The Forgefiend model proved to be larger than I had both hoped and thought. This meant I had a lot of cutting to do, and as you can see there`s a lot of plasticard/greenstuff work left to smooth this out. This also meant that the middle of the model looks kind of naked so I have to come up with something here. Lots of ideas, but I'd love to hear yours as well!

The model is really along, so I decided to make the platform rather small (this also fit well with the Helblaster barrels' length). To make this work, the crew had to be turned backwards. The idea is to place the third crewman with some sort of interesting item (i.e. binoculars) behind the ID, so it'll look like they'll have a conversation going. The end of the engine, i.e. the part facing the crew, has a sort of swivel attached to it: I think it fits very well given the steam-based nature of the machine.

The front of the model has a Daemon face from the CSM Rhino sprue attached to it, similar to the Hellcannon. I intend to greenstuff this, hopefully to make it look like it's protruding from the barrel. I also intend to add horns here, again in a similar manner to the Hellcannon, but it'll depend on how I end up modelling the wheels and how it'll fit because they're quite big.

About the wheels: I haven't even begun with these yet, but the pictures with them show roughly how I intend to have them. For now all the glue and greenstuff has to dry before I can continue.

Lastly, the conversion thus far is mainly made from the Hellcannon and CSM Forgefiend, but there are significant bits from the Chaos Chariot, Ogre Ironblaster, Empire Helblaster and CSM Rhino as well!
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:26 pm

More photos: spent a couple of hours today fixing the wheels, check it out -

Hellcannon for size purposes. I have no idea how I`m going to mount this on 60x100, the custom chariot base I ordered won`t work: it`s too small. Still lots of work left but now with the wheels finally done you can get a real feel for the model :)
Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Olannon
Haley

Post by Olannon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:39 pm

I finally found a good solution for the middle section. I`ve also worked on the lower part (making it thicker, it seemed so flimsy in the last pictures) and found something which works well at the front:

Jarle Svendsrud

www.courageofcaspia.com

Return to “Maling”