Are there ANY historical naval wargamers in Oslo?

Battlefleet Gothic, Blood Bowl, Lotr, Mordheim, Warmaster og annet.

Moderator: Deng_Ham

Kaptajn Congoboy
Archangel

Re: Are there ANY historical naval wargamers in Oslo?

Post by Kaptajn Congoboy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:52 pm

I've basecoated the Savo Cruiser set as well as the Fubuki destroyer set with gesso (airbrushed it on to get a thin coat). It is a bit difficult to judge the quality until after I remove them from the sprue, but it looks better than feared. I will have to paint the bottom of the ships white and label them before I can get decent pictures, though - if I don't it will be near impossible to tell them apart, especially the destroyers...they are so tiny! I don't know what to do with the planes - they are microscopic, only 2 mm long - I guess I will have to base them on something...but what? 10 øre coins are hard to come by these days - do you have a preferred plane base size? One plane to a base, or several?

I leave the scenario up to you :)
-Kaptajnen

geira
Fennblade

Post by geira » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Of course there are other naval wargamers here, Lou. You just need to know where to look ;) However, given the lack of activity during the current century, naval ex-wargamers might be a better description.

Many years ago, in between our Napoleonics and 15mm WW2 boom we started dabbling in 1:2400 GHQ figures. Friend of mine bought Brits and Italians, while I concentrated on USN and Japanese. We did put up a Guadalcanal game at ARCON once using Command at Sea rules, however this was long-winded and boiled down to four dice rools (he who rolled lowest won). Later I did some games using General Quarters I at DEFCON, which I liked much better. I also put up a 1:6000 Tsushima game using a DBA naval variant from Wargames Illustrated which worked surprisingly well. We also tried out David Manley's Action Stations using 1:600 figures from a guy in Drammen, but I haven't gotten around to painting the lot I've got lying around somewhere.

Here's a pic of some of my Pacific fleets:

geira
Fennblade

Post by geira » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:01 pm

Kaptajn Congoboy wrote:I don't know what to do with the planes - they are microscopic, only 2 mm long - I guess I will have to base them on something...but what? 10 øre coins are hard to come by these days - do you have a preferred plane base size? One plane to a base, or several?
Peter Pig sells small, thin steel bases which are perfect for this.

Kaptajn Congoboy
Archangel

Post by Kaptajn Congoboy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:14 pm

Unfortunately the plastic they use for the printing is so brittle and has such a porous surface, combined with the small size, that they are simply not suited as gaming pieces. Almost impossible to prime and paint and too brittle to resist even casual handling :( So that project went down the drain.
-Kaptajnen

Return to “Andre spill”